Still plenty of questions for BYU as fall camp grinds on
Freshman Trey Dye, who can play at wide receiver, in the slot or in the backfield, continued to impress Tuesday, catching a touchdown pass from Christian Stewart. His 71-yard TD catch-and-run at last Saturday’s scrimmage was nullified due to a penalty.
“We still have to tell him where to align, but if you can get him the ball, it’s hard to catch him,” Mendenhall said of Dye. “We’ll put a lot more time and effort into his assignments. One of the challenges we have is with our freshmen in the summer bridge program. Their classes go into two-a-days, and their finals are this week. They’re managing both. That kind of stunts their growth in terms of the football part.”
This is how running backs coach Mark Atuaia evaluates Dye: “Imagine a fire hose and the spout turned on. My man is drinking out of that thing. Water’s coming out everywhere. But there’s no doubt he is talented. He might have to (play) this season. You never know. The thing is to get him ready to play. Only time will tell. He has the talent and skill set to do it. It’s whether he will be able to grasp all the things we throw at him. That’s a daunting task to ask of a freshman. We’ll see how it goes.”
Speaking of freshmen, when asked about the highly touted trio of outside linebackers — Fred Warner, Troy Hinds and Tyler Cook — Mendenhall said, “I think they’ll all play this year.”
And so the August grind goes on. "It's a doldrum day," Mendenhall said of Tuesday's practice.
But, he added: “The team is relatively healthy, progressing, peaking toward scrimmage Friday night. I feel good about where we are.”
Seventeen days and counting.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44