Still plenty of questions for BYU as fall camp grinds on
Freshman Trey Dye, who can play at wide receiver, in the slot or in the backfield, continued to impress Tuesday, catching a touchdown pass from Christian Stewart. His 71-yard TD catch-and-run at last Saturday’s scrimmage was nullified due to a penalty.
“We still have to tell him where to align, but if you can get him the ball, it’s hard to catch him,” Mendenhall said of Dye. “We’ll put a lot more time and effort into his assignments. One of the challenges we have is with our freshmen in the summer bridge program. Their classes go into two-a-days, and their finals are this week. They’re managing both. That kind of stunts their growth in terms of the football part.”
This is how running backs coach Mark Atuaia evaluates Dye: “Imagine a fire hose and the spout turned on. My man is drinking out of that thing. Water’s coming out everywhere. But there’s no doubt he is talented. He might have to (play) this season. You never know. The thing is to get him ready to play. Only time will tell. He has the talent and skill set to do it. It’s whether he will be able to grasp all the things we throw at him. That’s a daunting task to ask of a freshman. We’ll see how it goes.”
Speaking of freshmen, when asked about the highly touted trio of outside linebackers — Fred Warner, Troy Hinds and Tyler Cook — Mendenhall said, “I think they’ll all play this year.”
And so the August grind goes on. "It's a doldrum day," Mendenhall said of Tuesday's practice.
But, he added: “The team is relatively healthy, progressing, peaking toward scrimmage Friday night. I feel good about where we are.”
Seventeen days and counting.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14