Ex A.G. John Swallow fundraising host faces federal indictment
SALT LAKE CITY — A convicted felon who hosted a fundraiser for former Attorney General John Swallow faces a federal criminal charge for witness tampering.
Robert William Montgomery, 35, his brothers Michael C. Montgomery, 30, and JD Montgomery, 28, and Jeremy R. Ertmann, 36, were charged in an indictment with beating "A.T.H." with the intent to influence or prevent his or her testimony in an official proceeding.
The indictment doesn't provide any details about the case.
The four men, all of Salt Lake City, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court. A five-day trial was set for Oct. 20 before Judge Robert J. Shelby. The men are scheduled to appear at detention hearings Thursday.
Robert Montgomery, owner of Emmediate Credit Solutions, held a fundraiser for Swallow's attorney general campaign at Mimi's Cafe in Murray in April 2012. Attendees included those who work in the online business opportunities industry.
In 2004, a federal judge sentenced Montgomery to prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm. He was released in 2007. Montgomery was convicted of manufacture of unlawful telecommunications device, a third-degree felony, in state court in 2000.
According to his LinkedIn profile, Montgomery considers himself a "very aggressive entrepreneur with a very colorful background." He also ran a company called Concepts Execution. He got his start in the industry as a sales manager at the Internet marketing company iWorks.
IWorks founder Jeremy Johnson faces federal criminal and civil charges for allegedly defrauding online customers of more than $275 million.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 70
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 27
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 13