Former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah activated off physically unable to perform list
Paul Sancya, AP
Detroit Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah can start practicing again, as the former BYU star was activated off the physically unable to perform list on Tuesday.
Don't expect to see Ansah in the Lions' preseason game against Oakland on Friday, though.
"He's not going to play this weekend," Detroit head coach Jim Caldwell told reporters. "He'll be able to catch up pretty quickly. One of the things with four guys up front, it's not really too different from what he's been accustomed to, just in terms of knowing games and stunts and things of that nature, which changes rush lengths a little bit."
Ansah had offseason shoulder surgery and hasn't been on the field since last season. Kyle Meinke of MLive.com reported that Ansah has been doing individual workouts with trainers over the past week. In his first year in the NFL, he had eight sacks — best among rookies — and 32 tackles for Detroit in 2013.
"He's been working and sort of ramping up his activity, as you could see every single week," Caldwell said of Ansah. "So he's getting a little bit more work with his pads on, working with the trainers and he'll be ready to go in due time. But we'll take our time and there will be a progression to it, but we'll see how he comes along."
Ansah will now have the opportunity to finally line up alongside another former Cougar, linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who the Lions selected with the 40th overall pick (second round) in the draft this season. Last week in the team's preseason opener against Cleveland, Van Noy had a pass deflection.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36