Former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah activated off physically unable to perform list
Paul Sancya, AP
Detroit Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah can start practicing again, as the former BYU star was activated off the physically unable to perform list on Tuesday.
Don't expect to see Ansah in the Lions' preseason game against Oakland on Friday, though.
"He's not going to play this weekend," Detroit head coach Jim Caldwell told reporters. "He'll be able to catch up pretty quickly. One of the things with four guys up front, it's not really too different from what he's been accustomed to, just in terms of knowing games and stunts and things of that nature, which changes rush lengths a little bit."
Ansah had offseason shoulder surgery and hasn't been on the field since last season. Kyle Meinke of MLive.com reported that Ansah has been doing individual workouts with trainers over the past week. In his first year in the NFL, he had eight sacks — best among rookies — and 32 tackles for Detroit in 2013.
"He's been working and sort of ramping up his activity, as you could see every single week," Caldwell said of Ansah. "So he's getting a little bit more work with his pads on, working with the trainers and he'll be ready to go in due time. But we'll take our time and there will be a progression to it, but we'll see how he comes along."
Ansah will now have the opportunity to finally line up alongside another former Cougar, linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who the Lions selected with the 40th overall pick (second round) in the draft this season. Last week in the team's preseason opener against Cleveland, Van Noy had a pass deflection.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 66
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27