Former Cougar Ezekiel Ansah activated off physically unable to perform list
Paul Sancya, AP
Detroit Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah can start practicing again, as the former BYU star was activated off the physically unable to perform list on Tuesday.
Don't expect to see Ansah in the Lions' preseason game against Oakland on Friday, though.
"He's not going to play this weekend," Detroit head coach Jim Caldwell told reporters. "He'll be able to catch up pretty quickly. One of the things with four guys up front, it's not really too different from what he's been accustomed to, just in terms of knowing games and stunts and things of that nature, which changes rush lengths a little bit."
Ansah had offseason shoulder surgery and hasn't been on the field since last season. Kyle Meinke of MLive.com reported that Ansah has been doing individual workouts with trainers over the past week. In his first year in the NFL, he had eight sacks — best among rookies — and 32 tackles for Detroit in 2013.
"He's been working and sort of ramping up his activity, as you could see every single week," Caldwell said of Ansah. "So he's getting a little bit more work with his pads on, working with the trainers and he'll be ready to go in due time. But we'll take our time and there will be a progression to it, but we'll see how he comes along."
Ansah will now have the opportunity to finally line up alongside another former Cougar, linebacker Kyle Van Noy, who the Lions selected with the 40th overall pick (second round) in the draft this season. Last week in the team's preseason opener against Cleveland, Van Noy had a pass deflection.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7