Steven Senne, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Gasoline prices in Utah are slightly down this month but lag dramatically behind the overall decline nationally.
According to AAA Utah, the average price in Utah slipped just 4 cents a gallon since last month, while the average price nationally dipped 18 cents per gallon during the same period.
Currently, Utah drivers pay an average of $3.67 for a gallon of regular gasoline — 4 cents lower than one month ago and 7 cents less than a year ago. Only nine states registered higher average fuel prices than Utah.
With the exception of Vernal, each Utah city tracked by AAA saw single-digit decreases since last month. The biggest drop occurred in Ogden, which reported an 8-cent decrease month-over-month. Logan experienced the smallest decrease at just 1 cent.
“It is no surprise Utah has the 10th highest price in the nation,” said AAA Utah spokeswoman Roylane Fairclough. “Utah traditionally registers some of the highest prices in the country in summer and then drops to the lower ranks as the temperature cools.”
Nationwide, the average pump price was at $3.47 per gallon — 8 cents less than a year ago. The current national average price Tuesday is the lowest reported since 2011.
Hawaii registered the highest average price nationally at $4.32 a gallon, while California and Oregon reported the highest average price in the contiguous states at $3.91 per gallon.
Hawaii and Alaska were the only states that exceeded the $4 per gallon mark for the period. Meanwhile, South Carolina drivers paid the lowest average price at $3.18 per gallon.
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Why college matters more today than 20 years ago
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- Kids learn the ABCs of managing money
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- How much money should you be saving... 4
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- Michelle Singletary: Credit can be... 3