CLINTON — Fire officials are investigating two fires in Clinton that they believe were set intentionally that caused about $75,000 in damage.
About 3:20 p.m. Monday, firefighters responded to a fire on the playground at West Clinton Elementary, 2826 W. 1800 North. Upon arriving, the jungle gym on the playground was "fully involved" in flames. Firefighters were able to suppress the blaze quickly, according to Clinton Fire Chief David Olsen.
Around the same time, fire crews dealt with a fire in a bathroom at a baseball diamond near the school. The two are believed to be connected, and both were incendiary in nature, according to Olsen.
"At this point, it's very suspicious," he said. "It's still under investigation."
Olsen said there were several witnesses and some video footage that will be used in the investigation.
Anyone with information on either of the two fires was asked to contact the Clinton Fire Department at 801-614-0840.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 39
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 24
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11