Man shot, killed in confrontation with Salt Lake police
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man was shot and killed in a confrontation with police officers Monday night.
The man was shot in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven, 2102 S. State, about 7:15 p.m., Salt Lake police reported.
The convenience store is in South Salt Lake just over the border from Salt Lake City. Investigators say three Salt Lake officers were responding to reports of a man with a gun when the shooting occurred.
South Salt Lake police are investigating the shooting.
The officers arrived and saw three people exiting the convenience store, investigators said. The man who was shot matched the description officers had received of the man believed to have a gun.
Very little information was released Monday night, including whether or not the man was confirmed to be armed and what led to the shooting. Police said the man was acting belligerently.
Witnesses at the scene gave varying accounts of the shooting. One man said he heard two shots and that it appeared the man was fleeing when he was shot by officers.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10