Man shot, killed in confrontation with Salt Lake police
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man was shot and killed in a confrontation with police officers Monday night.
The man was shot in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven, 2102 S. State, about 7:15 p.m., Salt Lake police reported.
The convenience store is in South Salt Lake just over the border from Salt Lake City. Investigators say three Salt Lake officers were responding to reports of a man with a gun when the shooting occurred.
South Salt Lake police are investigating the shooting.
The officers arrived and saw three people exiting the convenience store, investigators said. The man who was shot matched the description officers had received of the man believed to have a gun.
Very little information was released Monday night, including whether or not the man was confirmed to be armed and what led to the shooting. Police said the man was acting belligerently.
Witnesses at the scene gave varying accounts of the shooting. One man said he heard two shots and that it appeared the man was fleeing when he was shot by officers.
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Q and A: The business of being Moab
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Motorcyclist dies after collision near Utah Lake
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 27
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15