Man shot, killed in confrontation with Salt Lake police
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man was shot and killed in a confrontation with police officers Monday night.
The man was shot in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven, 2102 S. State, about 7:15 p.m., Salt Lake police reported.
The convenience store is in South Salt Lake just over the border from Salt Lake City. Investigators say three Salt Lake officers were responding to reports of a man with a gun when the shooting occurred.
South Salt Lake police are investigating the shooting.
The officers arrived and saw three people exiting the convenience store, investigators said. The man who was shot matched the description officers had received of the man believed to have a gun.
Very little information was released Monday night, including whether or not the man was confirmed to be armed and what led to the shooting. Police said the man was acting belligerently.
Witnesses at the scene gave varying accounts of the shooting. One man said he heard two shots and that it appeared the man was fleeing when he was shot by officers.
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 16
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 14
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 13
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 10