Man shot, killed in confrontation with Salt Lake police
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man was shot and killed in a confrontation with police officers Monday night.
The man was shot in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven, 2102 S. State, about 7:15 p.m., Salt Lake police reported.
The convenience store is in South Salt Lake just over the border from Salt Lake City. Investigators say three Salt Lake officers were responding to reports of a man with a gun when the shooting occurred.
South Salt Lake police are investigating the shooting.
The officers arrived and saw three people exiting the convenience store, investigators said. The man who was shot matched the description officers had received of the man believed to have a gun.
Very little information was released Monday night, including whether or not the man was confirmed to be armed and what led to the shooting. Police said the man was acting belligerently.
Witnesses at the scene gave varying accounts of the shooting. One man said he heard two shots and that it appeared the man was fleeing when he was shot by officers.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Three hurt when ATV explodes into flames as...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18