Laura Seitz, Deseret News
AUG. 11: The Utes had their second double day of camp — practicing in the morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium and on the baseball field in the late afternoon.
Standout performers: Whittingham said the senior defensive end Nate Orchard had a nice outing in the morning practice. The coach also noted the entire secondary did a good job — for the most part — in coverage. Whittingham also noted that Andy Phillips kicked exceptionally well.
Quotable: “I think they’ve upgraded speed-wise on offense. There’s no question.” — Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Networks
Injuries: Whittingham said there is “concern” about senior safety Tevin Carter’s surgically repaired ankle. “He’s practicing so that’s a positive,” said Whittingham, who acknowledged it’s a balancing act trying to get Carter enough reps while not wearing him out. Carter and senior safety Brian Blechen, who was sidelined last season with a knee injury, are being held out of the evening practice for precautionary reasons.
Next up: The Utes have a scrimmage Tuesday morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6