Laura Seitz, Deseret News
AUG. 11: The Utes had their second double day of camp — practicing in the morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium and on the baseball field in the late afternoon.
Standout performers: Whittingham said the senior defensive end Nate Orchard had a nice outing in the morning practice. The coach also noted the entire secondary did a good job — for the most part — in coverage. Whittingham also noted that Andy Phillips kicked exceptionally well.
Quotable: “I think they’ve upgraded speed-wise on offense. There’s no question.” — Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Networks
Injuries: Whittingham said there is “concern” about senior safety Tevin Carter’s surgically repaired ankle. “He’s practicing so that’s a positive,” said Whittingham, who acknowledged it’s a balancing act trying to get Carter enough reps while not wearing him out. Carter and senior safety Brian Blechen, who was sidelined last season with a knee injury, are being held out of the evening practice for precautionary reasons.
Next up: The Utes have a scrimmage Tuesday morning at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16