RSL hires new assistant coach; Schuler named MLS player of the week
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SANDY — It was a busy Monday for Real Salt Lake as the team traded a player, hired a coach and had a player honored.
Just hours after trading Kwame Watson-Siriboe to New York City FC, the team announced that it had hired Ted Eck as forwards coach, replacing Paul Dalglish (who left to take a head coaching job with the Austin Aztex). Eck was a coach in the Los Angeles Galaxy's youth academy.
Utah soccer fans may remember Eck from his stint of coaching the Ogden Outlaws of the fourth-tier Professional Development League.
Eck was a prolific scorer in both indoor and outdoor soccer. He once played alongside Jeff Cassar with the Dallas Burn (now FC Dallas) in the late 1990s.
“Ted brings a wealth of knowledge to the club with 14 years of experience in professional soccer," Cassar said in an RSL news release. "I expect Ted to have a seamless transition into his new role, continuing our unique position-specific coaching model, with Ted focusing on our forwards.”
Meanwhile, the Claret and Colbalt's Chris Schuler was named Major League Soccer player of the week by the North American Soccer Reporters.
Schuler, who scored two goals in Saturday's 3-0 victory over D.C. United, becomes the first defender to win the award in 2014.
He's the third player from Real Salt Lake to win player of the week — Nick Rimando (twice) and Joao Plata have also been honored.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18