RSL hires new assistant coach; Schuler named MLS player of the week
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SANDY — It was a busy Monday for Real Salt Lake as the team traded a player, hired a coach and had a player honored.
Just hours after trading Kwame Watson-Siriboe to New York City FC, the team announced that it had hired Ted Eck as forwards coach, replacing Paul Dalglish (who left to take a head coaching job with the Austin Aztex). Eck was a coach in the Los Angeles Galaxy's youth academy.
Utah soccer fans may remember Eck from his stint of coaching the Ogden Outlaws of the fourth-tier Professional Development League.
Eck was a prolific scorer in both indoor and outdoor soccer. He once played alongside Jeff Cassar with the Dallas Burn (now FC Dallas) in the late 1990s.
“Ted brings a wealth of knowledge to the club with 14 years of experience in professional soccer," Cassar said in an RSL news release. "I expect Ted to have a seamless transition into his new role, continuing our unique position-specific coaching model, with Ted focusing on our forwards.”
Meanwhile, the Claret and Colbalt's Chris Schuler was named Major League Soccer player of the week by the North American Soccer Reporters.
Schuler, who scored two goals in Saturday's 3-0 victory over D.C. United, becomes the first defender to win the award in 2014.
He's the third player from Real Salt Lake to win player of the week — Nick Rimando (twice) and Joao Plata have also been honored.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13