BLUFFDALE — A major intersection in Utah is about to get a makeover.
The Utah Department of Transportation is building a new freeway-style interchange that will take Bangerter Highway over Redwood Road. Construction is expected to be complete next spring.
In the meantime, UDOT is warning drivers that change is coming.
“The goal of any construction project is to minimize inconvenience and delays," said UDOT spokesman John Gleason. “The way this project accomplishes that is to take a majority of traffic out of the work zone.”
Starting Wednesday, UDOT will send traffic traveling between Bangerter Highway and Redwood Road onto a new access road. The road will split off of Bangerter Highway and connect roughly half a block south with Redwood Road (near 13900 South).
“We’re taking traffic out of the work zone and taking it around the work zone,” Gleason said.
Drive times will most likely be affected during the afternoon commute for drivers in Bluffdale, Saratoga Springs, Lehi and Eagle Mountain who normally take Bangerter Highway to Redwood Road to avoid I-15.
For at least the first few days, the new access road may not save drivers time.
Gleason said main flow traffic on both Bangerter Highway and Redwood Road will be unaffected, other than a new signal light that will allow traffic onto the access road.
“The amount of growth in this area has been incredible over the past few years,” Gleason said. “We want to address the long-term transportation needs.”
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16