SALT LAKE CITY — Drivers in the Beehive State pay less to operate their vehicles than nearly 80 percent of all other states in the nation.
A new Bankrate.com report indicates that, at $2,098 per year, Utah is the 11th least expensive state to operate a motor vehicle compared to the national average of $2,223. The report calculated the average costs of fuel, insurance and repairs in all 50 states. While Utah was slightly above average when it came to repair costs, drivers saved money with below-average insurance premiums.
The state where it costs the most to operate a motor vehicle is Wyoming, while the cheapest state is Iowa. In the Cowboy State, a typical driver spends about $2,705 annually to drive his or her vehicle.
Though Wyoming has below-average repair costs, gas prices and insurance premiums, motorists in the state drive 68 percent more than the typical driver elsewhere, thereby spending nearly $1,600 a year on fuel — more than any other state in the country.
Rounding out the top five most expensive states to operate vehicles annually are Louisiana at $2,555, followed by the Sunshine State of Florida at $2,516, Mississippi at $2,487 and the Garden State of New Jersey at $2,421.
Comparatively, the average Hawkeye driver spent just $1,942 per year on their vehicle. One major reason Iowa is the cheapest place to drive is due to the cheapest car insurance rates in the country, averaging just $630 annually. Getting your car fixed is also relatively inexpensive with typical Iowa drivers paying only $315 per year for repairs.
The other states ranking as the cheapest to operate a vehicle are Ohio at $1,973, Illinois at $1,999, Idaho at $2,001 and Wisconsin at $2,018.
- Behind the support for Brexit and Trump:...
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await Brexit...
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote...
- Financial Tips & Tricks: When is bankruptcy...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing an...
- Tesla wants to be the ultimate sustainable...
- Utahns' confidence in the state economy is...
- Behind the support for Brexit and... 14
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote... 8
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Financial Tips & Tricks: When is... 1
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await... 0
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing... 0
- Tesla wants to be the ultimate... 0
- Utahns' confidence in the state economy... 0