Viral video demonstrates impact of swearing in media on families
Clark Gable shocked audiences in 1939 when he spoke the first swear word in cinema history while playing his role of Rhett Butler in "Gone With The Wind."
The famous movie line was the catalyst for many more swear words to appear in Hollywood blockbusters, and in 2013, "The Wolf of Wall Street" broke the record for having the most swear words in any movie, including 528 F-words and 798 total swear words.
In a recent viral video created by VidAngel, a company that streams filtered movies and shows, a family of four gets shot with more than 3,000 paintballs in 5.3 seconds to prove a point — that profanity has an impact.
"We wanted to visually show the impact of 798 swear words," said Daniel Harmon, founder of VidAngel, in a behind the scenes video. "A family of four means we needed 798 paintballs per person, so we got 50 fully automatic paintball guns."
According to the video description on YouTube, VidAngel community members tag potentially offensive swearing, sex and violence in movies, TV shows and YouTube videos, and then viewers are able to filter what they do not wish to watch.
VidAngel is a legal business and is protected by the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, according to a statement below the company's YouTube commercial.
The video was posted to YouTube July 23 and has more than 1 million views.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- It's 'trauma season' in Utah for children
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas reflects on...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 168
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may... 8
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 5
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Why exposing your children to another... 3