Viral video demonstrates impact of swearing in media on families
Clark Gable shocked audiences in 1939 when he spoke the first swear word in cinema history while playing his role of Rhett Butler in "Gone With The Wind."
The famous movie line was the catalyst for many more swear words to appear in Hollywood blockbusters, and in 2013, "The Wolf of Wall Street" broke the record for having the most swear words in any movie, including 528 F-words and 798 total swear words.
In a recent viral video created by VidAngel, a company that streams filtered movies and shows, a family of four gets shot with more than 3,000 paintballs in 5.3 seconds to prove a point — that profanity has an impact.
"We wanted to visually show the impact of 798 swear words," said Daniel Harmon, founder of VidAngel, in a behind the scenes video. "A family of four means we needed 798 paintballs per person, so we got 50 fully automatic paintball guns."
According to the video description on YouTube, VidAngel community members tag potentially offensive swearing, sex and violence in movies, TV shows and YouTube videos, and then viewers are able to filter what they do not wish to watch.
VidAngel is a legal business and is protected by the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, according to a statement below the company's YouTube commercial.
The video was posted to YouTube July 23 and has more than 1 million views.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- Families have become the scapegoat of holiday...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 39
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 7
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's... 4
- Sherry Young: When the scruffy look is... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- This new video game shows that there is... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- 15 things you should give up to be a... 2