It's been fascinating to watch the debate over the border kids as it has unfolded. For conservatives, the only issue regarding immigration seems to be illegality. For liberals, legal versus illegal seems completely irrelevant.
This is not because we aren't concerned with the rule of law. But immigrants are a net plus for our nation; less likely to commit crimes, more likely to become entrepreneurs. And illegal border crossing is a misdemeanor, on the level as, but much less serious than, a moving traffic violation. If I couldn't provide for my family, and all I had to do to get a better job was cross a border, I'd be across in a second. Wouldn't you?
But maybe a compromise is possible. Instead of a green card lottery, what if we just expanded the numbers of green cards available? Give one to anyone without a history of violent criminal activity.
Let’s stop family-wrecking deportations, let's find a home for children fleeing violence and let's embrace those who want to bless our nation with their skills and work ethic. Worried about illegal immigration? Expand legal immigration. Am I calling for amnesty? Absolutely!
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24