Clinton water advisory lifted for some, still in place for others
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
CLINTON — Parts of Clinton remained under an advisory Saturday, while others were allowed to resume culinary water usage after bacteria was found in the city's water supply earlier this week.
A test that showed possible E. coli contamination in the city's culinary water supply Wednesday led city officials to advise residents to drink only bottled water. Clinton City Manager Dennis Cluff later said nine subsequent tests showed the bacteria is not present, but that the county health department asked that the advisory not be lifted until there was a sufficient amount of chlorine residual at the end of the water system.
Saturday, the city announced in an update on its website that all residents south of 1800 North could resume their culinary water use, but the advisory remained in place for residents north of 1800 North and west of 2000 West.
"This area has not yet achieved the chlorine residual and bacteriological results required by the State and County Health Depts (departments)," according to the update. "The city crew is continuing testing the chlorine residual and injecting more chlorine into the water system and the apparent troublesome areas."
The Davis County Health Department asked that residents who are no longer under the advisory let cold water run through all of their faucets for 20 minutes, to be followed by two minutes of hot water. They also advised that all ice cubes or other water stored recently be thrown out and all ice makers, water heaters, purifiers and softeners be flushed and cleaned.
The update said the city continues to sample and test the water as it works to resolve the water issue. They are being helped by both state and county health departments.
"The City is doing all it can to quickly resolve this water safety issue," the post reads. "We recognize the inconvenience and hardships forced upon those of you still affected by this water advisory."
They said a limited amount of water was available at the fire department at 1500 W. 2153 North.
City officials have said previously they may have identified a possible source of the contamination, an irrigation line that was crossing with culinary water.
Residents were reportedly feeding irrigation water through a hose into their home's water heater after the culinary water had been shut off from lack of payment. In turn, the irrigation water tracked back into the city's culinary system.
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 28
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16