Utah Utes camp report & video: The first double day goes well
Day 6: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said the opening session of the first double day of camp was a “good practice.” He was pleased that the players did not pace or save themselves for the afternoon session. Whittingham said the team worked hard and got a lot accomplished, particularly on short yardage and two-minute situations.
Whittingham was also pleased with how things went in the late practice. They took the pads off, lightened the physicality and were on the field for just over an hour. Whittingham said the offensive execution continues to raise just a little bit each day.
Standout performers: Whittingham said that quarterbacks Kendal Thompson and Travis Wilson both did some good things. He also noted that linebacker Jason Whittingham made some big plays in the live work. Tight end Westlee Tonga also drew some praise, as did wide receivers Dres Anderson and Kenneth Scott.
Noteable performers in the second session included Anderson, junior wide receiver Tim Patrick and freshman safety Marcus Williams.
Quotable: “It was a lot of good stuff today.” — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Safeties Brian Blechen and Tevin Carter were given the day off for precautionary reasons. Carter had foot surgery in January and wore a protective boot that Whittingham said he doesn’t really have to have and is expected to be out of on Monday, while Blechen missed last season with a chronic knee problem.
Next up: The Utes are off Sunday and will have a double day on Monday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 142
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 64
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 42
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25