Utah Utes camp report & video: The first double day goes well
Day 6: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said the opening session of the first double day of camp was a “good practice.” He was pleased that the players did not pace or save themselves for the afternoon session. Whittingham said the team worked hard and got a lot accomplished, particularly on short yardage and two-minute situations.
Whittingham was also pleased with how things went in the late practice. They took the pads off, lightened the physicality and were on the field for just over an hour. Whittingham said the offensive execution continues to raise just a little bit each day.
Standout performers: Whittingham said that quarterbacks Kendal Thompson and Travis Wilson both did some good things. He also noted that linebacker Jason Whittingham made some big plays in the live work. Tight end Westlee Tonga also drew some praise, as did wide receivers Dres Anderson and Kenneth Scott.
Noteable performers in the second session included Anderson, junior wide receiver Tim Patrick and freshman safety Marcus Williams.
Quotable: “It was a lot of good stuff today.” — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Safeties Brian Blechen and Tevin Carter were given the day off for precautionary reasons. Carter had foot surgery in January and wore a protective boot that Whittingham said he doesn’t really have to have and is expected to be out of on Monday, while Blechen missed last season with a chronic knee problem.
Next up: The Utes are off Sunday and will have a double day on Monday.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 111
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20