Summerhays makes cut, other Utahns falter at PGA Championship
Jeff Roberson, AP
Daniel Summerhays made the cut, barely, while Utah’s two other entrants in the PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky, failed to make the cut Friday.
Summerhays finished right on the cut line with his 1-over-par 72, which left him at 142 with 16 other players in a tie for 52nd place.
The 30-year-old Farmington native appeared to be in good shape after his first-round 70 and his front nine Friday when he made a pair of birdies to go with a bogey. Then a double bogey at 14 and a bogey at 16, put him back at 1-over for the tourney and precariously off the cut line.
However, Summerhays came through at the par-5 18th hole with a birdie, sinking a 4-footer to clinch a spot on the weekend.
Sandy pro Steve Schneiter was just off the cut line at the start of the day after a 1-over-par 72, which was the best score of the 20 club professionals in the tournament. However, Schneiter struggled from the get-go Friday with four bogeys on the front nine and three bogeys and a double bogey on the back side. He didn’t make a birdie all day, although he finished with a flourish, making an eagle-3 at the final hole.
Schneiter finished at 150, eight strokes off the cut in his 12th PGA Championship performance.
“Today, I don't know, I just didn't feel I have a lot of good energy,’’ he said. “It was a quick turnaround, and I was kind of tired most of the day. I didn't have the energy level like I had yesterday.’’
Dustin Volk, the head pro at Valley View Golf Course, shot an 82 to go with his 81 of the first day and finished in 152nd place at 163.
Volk struggled in his first PGA experience as he made eight bogeys and two double bogeys Friday before finishing his round on a high note with a birdie at No. 18. However, he enjoyed his week playing at the PGA.
“The experience of just being here was wonderful, seeing all the players I've never seen before, what a treat,’’ Volk said. “I definitely need to go home and sharpen my skills if I want to play here again.’’
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25