Weber State junior Emily Podlesny knocks off 2-time champion Kelsey Chugg in Utah Women's State Am
OGDEN — Kelsey Chugg’s reign as Utah Women’s State Amateur champion ended Friday when she was defeated by Weber State golfer Emily Podlesny 2-up in the quarterfinals of the tournament at Ogden Country Club. Chugg, a former Weber State golfer, had won the last two Women's Am tourneys.
Podlesny, who is from Mesquite, Nevada, and will be a junior at Weber State, was three holes down at the turn, but rallied on the back nine with birdies at 10, 11 and 12 to square the match. She then won the final two holes to close out Chugg.
Also making the semifinals were BYU golfer Lea Garner, who defeated Kimberly Nyhus 2 and 1; San Diego State golfer Sirene Blair, who beat Tara Green 1-up; and Allison Cluff, who beat Sadie Palmer 1-up.
After falling behind early, Garner came back to square the match against Nyhus after eight holes, then went ahead for good by winning the ninth hole.
Blair, a four-time state champion for Bingham High, was all square with Green through 16 holes before winning the 17th hole.
Cluff led throughout her match and was 3-up after five holes, 10 holes and 13 holes. Then Palmer won three straight holes to square the match before Cluff won on the final hole.
Podlesny will play Cluff at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, while Garner and Blair will square off at 7:45 a.m. The two winners will meet in the finals at approximately noon.
Utah Women's State Amateur
Match play results
Round of 16
Kelsey Chugg (1) def. Annette Gaiotti 5 and 3
Emily Podlesny def. Kendra Dalton 1 up
Allison Cluff def. Kristie Jensen 1 up
Sadie Palmer def. Sue Nyhus 2 and 1
Lea Garner def. Brooklyn Anderson 3 and 2
Sirene Blair def. Xena Motes 5 and 4
Tara Green def. Annie Yang 1 up
Podlesny def. Chugg 2 up
Cluff def. Palmer 1 up
Garner def. Nyhus 2 and 1
Blair def. Green 1 up
Podlesny vs. Cluff, 7:30 a.m.
Garner vs. Blair 7:45 a.m.
Podlesny-Cluff winner vs. Blair-Garner winner, noon
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz host third pre-draft workout,...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- BYU baseball team confident entering... 8