USU football: Aggies hold spirited practice during fourth day of fall camp Friday
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah State had its best practice of fall camp Friday as second-year head coach Matt Wells said he was pleased with how his team handled the last day without full pads.
“Practice was good,” Wells said. “I was curious to see how they would come out today because of yesterday being the first day of shoulder pads and tomorrow being full pads. I know there will be great energy and juice tomorrow. We really challenged those guys today and I was proud of their maturity to come out and have a spirited practice. I thought it was good give-and-take. I think the D-line responded in a more positive manner, but still not where we want them to be. The receivers started out very poorly, but finished well. There was just some good give-and-take today.”
Highlights from Friday’s practice included a 45-yard touchdown run by senior quarterback Chuckie Keeton following a great block from senior wide receiver Ronald Butler. Sophomore quarterback Darell Garretson also had a solid day, which included one touchdown pass.
For the third-straight day, sophomore safety Devin Centers highlighted the Aggies’ defense as he intercepted another pass, giving him four interceptions in the past three practices. USU also saw solid play from several defensive linemen Friday, while senior linebacker Zach Vigil and junior linebacker Kyler Fackrell also stood out.
Friday was the fourth of 29 practices for Utah State leading up to its season opener at Tennessee on Sunday, Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. MT.
Utah State will practice in full pads for the first time this fall on Saturday, Aug. 9, beginning at 9:15 a.m. in Romney Stadium. The first two-a-day is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 11, and USU’s first scrimmage will be on Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium on Tuesday, Aug. 12 at 6 p.m.
Utah State opens the 2014 season Sunday, Aug. 31, at Tennessee and plays its first home game the following weekend against Idaho State on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. USU's first Mountain West game will be at home against Air Force on Saturday, Oct. 11, and the Aggies conclude the regular season at MW foe Boise State on Saturday, Nov. 29. The Mountain West Championship game will be held Saturday, Dec. 6, at the home stadium of the divisional champion with the highest College Football Playoff Committee ranking.
All practices during fall camp, which concludes Saturday, Aug. 23, are open to the public.
Doug Hoffman is the associate athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes' most...
- Brad Rock: Faith helped infamous former MLB...
- Eight BYU, Utah players make the Polynesian...
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in the...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Ute women's basketball program shooting for...
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 71
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 68
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 26
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 25
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14
- Kincade: Poor shooting, signings have... 11
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout... 10