Felipe Dana, AP
Jaime, who is 27 years old, scored 44 goals in 123 games with Union Espanola, of Chile's top soccer league. Lagerwey said he will be a designated player, or DP, due to his high transfer fee.
Lagerwey also said RSL has been scouting him for a few years.
"He's an attacking player who can play either role up top," Lagerwey told Bill Riley. "He's a very hard-working, versatile player, and we're excited to add him."
Jaime seems just as excited to come, not just to Major League Soccer, but to RSL, specifically.
I'm going to a club that has the same philosophy as (Union Espanola coach) Jose Luis (Sierra), that's what surprised me most," Jamie said in an interview with Union Espanola's website, translated and published by RSL Soapbox.
"I had the opportunity to speak with the coach, and they are of the idea that the team doesn't have a single star, rather that the star is the whole team, so that is important to me, because I'm going to an institution that has the same characteristics as Union, and that's very important."
It's unclear how soon Jaime will join the team, depending on how long it takes him to acquire a visa, Lagerwey said.
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- High school football: Title-game loss hurts...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 73
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 21