Felipe Dana, AP
Jaime, who is 27 years old, scored 44 goals in 123 games with Union Espanola, of Chile's top soccer league. Lagerwey said he will be a designated player, or DP, due to his high transfer fee.
Lagerwey also said RSL has been scouting him for a few years.
"He's an attacking player who can play either role up top," Lagerwey told Bill Riley. "He's a very hard-working, versatile player, and we're excited to add him."
Jaime seems just as excited to come, not just to Major League Soccer, but to RSL, specifically.
I'm going to a club that has the same philosophy as (Union Espanola coach) Jose Luis (Sierra), that's what surprised me most," Jamie said in an interview with Union Espanola's website, translated and published by RSL Soapbox.
"I had the opportunity to speak with the coach, and they are of the idea that the team doesn't have a single star, rather that the star is the whole team, so that is important to me, because I'm going to an institution that has the same characteristics as Union, and that's very important."
It's unclear how soon Jaime will join the team, depending on how long it takes him to acquire a visa, Lagerwey said.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18