CEDAR CITY — A man was in critical condition Thursday night after being hit by an SUV that didn't stop after the collision, according to police.
About 10:30 p.m., police received a call of what appeared to be an animal in the road near 1288 S. Main. Another caller a few minutes later reported that a man in the road had been hit, according to Cedar City Police Sgt. Dave McIntyre.
The victim was able to talk with police when they arrived, but he had "very serious injuries," McIntyre said. The man, who was reportedly a third-year student at Southern Utah University, was taken to Valley View Medical Center and later flown to Dixie Regional Medical Center in critical condition.
Based on evidence at the scene, police were able to identify a vehicle and a driver they believe hit the man, McIntyre said. The driver was being interviewed by police Friday.
"We know that he knew he hit something but didn't stop and render first aid," McIntyre said. "There was obvious damage to the vehicle."
The driver did not appear to be impaired, but he could face criminal charges pending the outcome of the investigation, according to police.
The victim was hit in an area of heavy construction where the road was narrowed with traffic cones and barrels. It was not at an intersection, nor was there a crosswalk, according to McIntyre.
"You kind of got two wrongs: You've got a guy that probably shouldn't have been in the roadway, but you've also got a driver that didn't stop when he hit something," he said.
The names of the victim and the driver were not released Friday.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 73
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17