Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
UTAH LAKE STATE PARK — A search was underway Friday morning at Utah Lake for three jet skiers who were found alive around 8 a.m.
Angel and Laticia Hernandez, along with Guadalupe Veloz, had been missing since Thursday evening, and a search began that night using a helicopter, according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon. The search resumed Friday morning.
Investigators said one of the two jet skis had broken down and the other tipped while attempting to tow it in. The three spent the next 14 hours in 70-degree water without life jackets until they were found Friday morning.
"What they did is apparently they tied the wave runners together and then tied themselves to the wave runners, so that's what saved their lives last night," Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Wally Perschon said.
The three were found north of Bird Island in the south end of the lake. They were taken to a hospital and treated for hypothermia.
Guadalupe said he was cold but happy to be alive.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- One man electrocuted, 2 others injured in...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- 9 of the worst things you can do to your...
- Police identify man killed in I-80 rollover
- ‘Jackie & Ryan’ showcases beauty...
- Police working to identify boys who left...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 76
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 71
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 17
- Stolen identity: Congressman Jason... 12
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 12