Have you ever felt insecure in your home, or that it lacks privacy? I don't blame you if you have. In Utah, new homes are not required to be fenced. It is a big safety hazard not to have a fence around your house, especially if you have animals or small children. Without fences, anyone can walk up to your property and steal from your backyard.
I am living with a friend right now and she is going through the long process of installing a fence. My friend has been working on it for almost a month and still nothing has happened. There are significant HOA and city requirements that builders can navigate easily, but that are much more difficult for a homeowner. I understand that we Americans like to make our own decisions, but some things are just better for everybody.
With a fence, you are more protected, you have more privacy and your kids and animals will be able to run around the backyard without you worrying. I think that Utah municipalities should require fences to be built for all new homes.
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- About Utah: Others opened the door, but she...
- Doug Robinson: Leonardo chief's doing a job...
- My view: Biggest reason for physician shortage
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look at the...
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 35
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19