Have you ever felt insecure in your home, or that it lacks privacy? I don't blame you if you have. In Utah, new homes are not required to be fenced. It is a big safety hazard not to have a fence around your house, especially if you have animals or small children. Without fences, anyone can walk up to your property and steal from your backyard.
I am living with a friend right now and she is going through the long process of installing a fence. My friend has been working on it for almost a month and still nothing has happened. There are significant HOA and city requirements that builders can navigate easily, but that are much more difficult for a homeowner. I understand that we Americans like to make our own decisions, but some things are just better for everybody.
With a fence, you are more protected, you have more privacy and your kids and animals will be able to run around the backyard without you worrying. I think that Utah municipalities should require fences to be built for all new homes.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- In our opinion: Six heroes for our values in...
- Letter: Distance from religion
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our year-end...
- Drew Clark: Ebola, cybersecurity and...
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests — a...
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 37
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 31
- Letter: Distance from religion 29
- Letter: Sharing culpability 22
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions 19
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Prisons bring much positive change 13