Utah pros have mixed results on 1st day of PGA Championship
The three Utah golfers at the PGA Championship had mixed results in Thursday’s first round at Valhalla Golf Club in Kentucky.
Daniel Summerhays, a native of Farmington and a regular on the PGA Tour, fired a 1-under-par 70, and stands in a tie for 35th place. Steve Schneiter, a 50-year-old professional at Pebble Brook Golf Course in Sandy, finished with a 1-over-par 72. Dustin Volk, the head professional at Valley View Golf Course, struggled with a 10-over-par 81.
Summerhays, who began at No. 10, started quickly with three birdies — at 13, 15 and 18 — to make the turn at 3-under par. He found trouble on his back nine with three bogeys at 1, 2 and 5, but he also had birdies at 3 and 7 before bogeying his final hole.
Schneiter, who qualified for his 12th PGA Championship by finishing in the top 20 at the Club Professional Championship earlier this summer, posted the lowest score of the 20 club pros in the tournament. He stands in a tie for 79th place and will likely need a par or better round to make the 36-hole cut.
Schneiter began on No. 10 and bogeyed his first hole before coming back with a birdie at No. 13. A bogey at 17 put him 1-over at the turn. On his back nine, he made a bogey at No. 6 to fall back to 2-over par, but came back with a birdie at the next hole.
It was a tough day for Volk, playing in his first PGA event.
He played the back nine first and after making a bogey at No. 10 and a birdie at No. 12, he posted a disastrous quadruple-bogey 8 at No. 13. He made two more bogeys at 16 and 17 and another at No. 3.
Volk then had back-to-back double bogeys at 6 and 7 before he birdied No. 8.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 76
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 63
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37