Utah pros have mixed results on 1st day of PGA Championship
The three Utah golfers at the PGA Championship had mixed results in Thursday’s first round at Valhalla Golf Club in Kentucky.
Daniel Summerhays, a native of Farmington and a regular on the PGA Tour, fired a 1-under-par 70, and stands in a tie for 35th place. Steve Schneiter, a 50-year-old professional at Pebble Brook Golf Course in Sandy, finished with a 1-over-par 72. Dustin Volk, the head professional at Valley View Golf Course, struggled with a 10-over-par 81.
Summerhays, who began at No. 10, started quickly with three birdies — at 13, 15 and 18 — to make the turn at 3-under par. He found trouble on his back nine with three bogeys at 1, 2 and 5, but he also had birdies at 3 and 7 before bogeying his final hole.
Schneiter, who qualified for his 12th PGA Championship by finishing in the top 20 at the Club Professional Championship earlier this summer, posted the lowest score of the 20 club pros in the tournament. He stands in a tie for 79th place and will likely need a par or better round to make the 36-hole cut.
Schneiter began on No. 10 and bogeyed his first hole before coming back with a birdie at No. 13. A bogey at 17 put him 1-over at the turn. On his back nine, he made a bogey at No. 6 to fall back to 2-over par, but came back with a birdie at the next hole.
It was a tough day for Volk, playing in his first PGA event.
He played the back nine first and after making a bogey at No. 10 and a birdie at No. 12, he posted a disastrous quadruple-bogey 8 at No. 13. He made two more bogeys at 16 and 17 and another at No. 3.
Volk then had back-to-back double bogeys at 6 and 7 before he birdied No. 8.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 112
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28