Not satisfied with his success, Martins has also worked to help others succeed.
“Carlos is one of the most gracious and down-to-earth people you will ever meet," said Mark Palmer, a donor liaisons for LDS Philanthropies. "Not only does he give in terms of philanthropy but what is remarkable about his business is how many other people prosper because they got involved with him. He’s willing to very quickly embrace people as friends. It’s not hard to see why people would want to be in business with him."
Martins helped more than 100 people in Brazil become millionaires through his business franchising. This experience led him to write a book, “Awaken the Millionaire Within,” which he calls his “personal philosophy of success.”
During the years of building a successful company, Martins served as a bishop, stake president and mission president. He also continually seeks to bring people to the gospel.
“He is a remarkable missionary in his business dealings and everything else he does," Palmer said. "He’s just completely unafraid to share the gospel with anybody at anytime. And the way he goes about it is so natural that it almost goes unnoticed. But there’s nobody that doesn’t know that Carlos Martins is a faithful member of the church.”
The principles of the gospel have guided Martins in every aspect of his life, and the lessons that Martins’ father taught him while they drove around Brazil in a truck have helped him in his professional career. He continues to share these two aspects of his success in order to help others become the best they can be.
“I believe that every successful person carries within himself a feeling that he is fulfilling a mission, since any victory loses its meaning if we do not use it for even greater purposes,” Martins wrote.
Ben Tullis is an intern at the Deseret News and a freelance writer and copy editor. He graduated from Utah Valley University in April 2014 with a bachelor's degree in English. He lives in Pleasant Grove, Utah, with his wife and 2-year-old boy.
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among...
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- LDS missionary collapses, dies during ward...
- See why this woman's decision not to bake a...
- Obama in State of the Union: Tax... 56
- LDS missionary collapses, dies during... 28
- See why this woman's decision not to... 23
- 22 online dating tips for Mormon YSA men 20
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 16
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 15
- LDS mission president's wife dies 14
- Why the world needs rich Christians 13