Tom Smart, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Head coach and general manager Tim Branham of the Utah Grizzles announced Monday that the team will be bringing back defenseman Channing Boe for the 2014-15 season. The team also announced some other signings.
"Channing is a very important part of our team both on and off the ice,” Branham said in a news release. “His leadership is second to none, and his ability to shut down the top lines of opposing teams is crucial. We are very happy to have him signed for this upcoming season."
The 27-year old from Minnesota, who was an assistant captain of the team, played in 66 of the 72 regular season games and was a plus 11 on the year, in which he added 12 assists and brought intense defense every time he hit the ice.
“Last season ended too early and it felt like unfinished business,” Boe said in a press release. “I believe in Coach Branham and this team, which is why I decided to come back and finish what we started. I enjoyed Utah and all of the fans and am looking forward to another year with the Grizzlies.”
The Grizzlies have also signed Mathieu Aubin, Brent Gwidt and Mike Folkes from last year’s squad. Plus they have brought in a rookie, H.T. Lenz from Vermont.
The Grizzlies finished third in the conference last season but fell short in the first round of the playoffs. They are looking to improve any way they can.
The Grizzlies open the 2014-15 regular season at Maverik Center against the Idaho Steelheads on Friday, Oct. 17, at 7 p.m.
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at sportsathomeradio.com for news and notes inside and out of the state of Utah in the world of sports.
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 47
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12