Coach: Robbie Dias is entering his fourth season at Diamond Ranch, the only coach in the school's history. He compiled an 18-15 record in his first three seasons at the helm.
(1 returning starter; spread offense)
Wideout Jaylon Cook is the only returning offensive weapon for Dias, but the coach is confident the athletes he has this year will produce. Noah Courtney and Nick Doughty will see time at quarterback, and Doughty is also expected to do big things at wideout. Ryan Gardner and Kaelin Kyles will be at running back, Andre Machado will play tight end, and the line should have good size with Dylan Feilneier and Tanner Gilmore.
(1 returning starter)
Conditioning will be key in Dias’ eyes as far as defensive success is concerned, but linebackers Sam Nipp and Marques Pina and safety Trevor Alvarez will help lead the way. The Hoffman brothers, Luke and Steve, are expected to be strong defensive ends.
Coaches preseason Region 1A South straw poll: Third
Deseret News Region 1A South prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: Dias has shown he can bring a unit together, evidenced by Diamond Ranch’s trip to the state semifinals a year ago. If this year’s squad proves to be as talented as Dias feels it is and can gel, the Diamond Backs may just play the dark horse role that so many around 1A feel they’re capable of.
Diamond Ranch coaching history
2011-current — Robbie Dias (18-15)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2013 — Saxon Mingus, QB/LB
2013 — Levi Dustin, RB/DB
2013 — Braeden Burnside, WR/DB
2011 — Kyle Atchison, QB/DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Ryan McDonald is a former intern at LDS Church News. He is studying communication at the University of Utah, where he works as the sports editor of the campus newspaper, The Daily Utah Chronicle. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32