Coach: Robbie Dias is entering his fourth season at Diamond Ranch, the only coach in the school's history. He compiled an 18-15 record in his first three seasons at the helm.
(1 returning starter; spread offense)
Wideout Jaylon Cook is the only returning offensive weapon for Dias, but the coach is confident the athletes he has this year will produce. Noah Courtney and Nick Doughty will see time at quarterback, and Doughty is also expected to do big things at wideout. Ryan Gardner and Kaelin Kyles will be at running back, Andre Machado will play tight end, and the line should have good size with Dylan Feilneier and Tanner Gilmore.
(1 returning starter)
Conditioning will be key in Dias’ eyes as far as defensive success is concerned, but linebackers Sam Nipp and Marques Pina and safety Trevor Alvarez will help lead the way. The Hoffman brothers, Luke and Steve, are expected to be strong defensive ends.
Coaches preseason Region 1A South straw poll: Third
Deseret News Region 1A South prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: Dias has shown he can bring a unit together, evidenced by Diamond Ranch’s trip to the state semifinals a year ago. If this year’s squad proves to be as talented as Dias feels it is and can gel, the Diamond Backs may just play the dark horse role that so many around 1A feel they’re capable of.
Diamond Ranch coaching history
2011-current — Robbie Dias (18-15)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2013 — Saxon Mingus, QB/LB
2013 — Levi Dustin, RB/DB
2013 — Braeden Burnside, WR/DB
2011 — Kyle Atchison, QB/DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Ryan McDonald is a former intern at LDS Church News. He is studying communication at the University of Utah, where he works as the sports editor of the campus newspaper, The Daily Utah Chronicle. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 71
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 36