BYU golfer Lea Garner takes 1st-round lead at Utah Women's State Amateur
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
OGDEN — BYU golfer Lea Garner fired a 5-under-par 67 Wednesday at Ogden Country Club to take a six-stroke lead after one round of the 36-hole stroke-play qualifying at the 108th Utah Women’s State Amateur.
Allison Cluff is second at 73, Sadie Palmer is third at 74, and four golfers — including last year’s runner-up, Sirene Blair — came in with 75s in the opening round. Others at 75 are Emily Podlesny, Kimberly Nyhus and Madi Rooker.
The low 15 golfers after Thursday’s round will join defending champion Kelsey Chugg in the match-play portion of the tournament, which begins Friday and concludes Saturday afternoon.
Garner, who hails from nearby Washington Terrace and attended Bonneville High, had no bogeys on her card Wednesday. She made birdies at holes 3, 5 and 18 and added an eagle-2 at the par-4 17th hole.
Among the other golfers in good position to make match play are Brooklyn Anderson and Kendra Dalton at 76; Annie Yang and Carly Oldroyd at 77; and Sue Nyhus, Xena Motes and Kristie Jensen at 78.
Two rounds of match play will take place Friday, with the semifinals and finals set for Saturday.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 55
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 44
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8