BYU golfer Lea Garner takes 1st-round lead at Utah Women's State Amateur
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
OGDEN — BYU golfer Lea Garner fired a 5-under-par 67 Wednesday at Ogden Country Club to take a six-stroke lead after one round of the 36-hole stroke-play qualifying at the 108th Utah Women’s State Amateur.
Allison Cluff is second at 73, Sadie Palmer is third at 74, and four golfers — including last year’s runner-up, Sirene Blair — came in with 75s in the opening round. Others at 75 are Emily Podlesny, Kimberly Nyhus and Madi Rooker.
The low 15 golfers after Thursday’s round will join defending champion Kelsey Chugg in the match-play portion of the tournament, which begins Friday and concludes Saturday afternoon.
Garner, who hails from nearby Washington Terrace and attended Bonneville High, had no bogeys on her card Wednesday. She made birdies at holes 3, 5 and 18 and added an eagle-2 at the par-4 17th hole.
Among the other golfers in good position to make match play are Brooklyn Anderson and Kendra Dalton at 76; Annie Yang and Carly Oldroyd at 77; and Sue Nyhus, Xena Motes and Kristie Jensen at 78.
Two rounds of match play will take place Friday, with the semifinals and finals set for Saturday.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26