Ravell Call, Deseret News
Day 3: The Utes added shoulder pads for Wednesday morning’s practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium as they progress through the NCAA’s acclimatization period. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said the team got a lot of work done. However, Whittingham felt the offense took a little dip in execution relative to the first two days of camp — something he said was to be expected with things becoming more physical with the gear on.
Standout performers: Whittingham said that special teams were very good on the third day of camp, praising kickers Andy Phillips and Jon Halliday, and punter Tom Hackett. Whittingham also noted that senior receiver Dres Anderson stands out every day. Defensive end Nate Orchard and linebackers Jared Norris and Jason Whittingham received praise as well.
Quotable: “We feel like we’ve got depth at most all positions, particularly when you look at where we were a few years ago. We’ve really helped ourselves.” — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham
Injuries: Whittingham is hopeful that wide receiver Geoffrey Norwood and defensive lineman Daniel Nielson, who were left off the initial camp roster of 105 players with undisclosed injuries, will be back in action in the next three or four weeks. Whittingham said that defensive end Moana Ofahengaue, who suffered a serious head injury in a motorized bike accident in February, is a long-term situation. Freshman wide receiver Raelon Singleton will have season-ending surgery for an undisclosed injury.
Next up: Thursday morning at Ute Field.
This glance accompanies related stories and is not a comprehensive practice report.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19