Michael Schar wins Stage 2 of the Tour of Utah, while Jure Kocjan earns yellow jersey
TORREY, Wayne County — BMC Racing’s Michael Schar moved up from 34th to second in the general classification after winning Stage 2 of the 10th Tour of Utah on Tuesday with a time of 5 hours, 3 minutes.
Slovenia’s Jure Kocjan will wear the yellow jersey Wednesday with an overall lead of two seconds after finishing second in both stages so far.
“I was very motivated for today's stage. I knew that last year on the same stage 60 riders came to the sprint, so I knew that if I could make the climb with the first group probably I would be the fastest man,” Kocjan said in a press release. “It’s not going to be easy. We‘ll try (Wednesday) to defend the yellow jersey.”
Jelly Belly’s Serghei Tvetcov was third, followed by UnitedHealthcare’s Kiel Reijnen, who turned in another top-five finish, and then Hincapie Sportswear’s Toms Skujins.
Stage 1 winner Moreno Hofland dropped to 68th in the general classification after falling more than 13 minutes behind the pace, while last year’s champ, Tom Danielson, fell two spots to 23rd. Last year’s runner-up, Christopher Horner, moved up six spots to 13th.
Park City’s Tanner Putt, currently fifth overall, is now the best young rider with a total time of 9:54:14, 12 seconds behind the overall leader.
Stage 3, 118.3 miles from Lehi to Tooele, will be televised on Root Sports Wednesday at 2 p.m.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33