One day while covering the Weber State basketball team, I asked Damian Lillard what he was majoring in at Weber State. He said, "It's technical sales." Then he paused and said with a smile, "I hope I don't have to use that for awhile."
I'm not sure if this counts as using his degree or not, but Lillard's skills on the basketball court have also afforded him an opportunity to develop his talents as a salesman, thanks to a contract signed with Adidas in May that will pay him "well over $100 million," according to USA Today.
In his latest pitch for Adidas, titled "BOOST or Bust," Lillard is working in a popcorn stand at the theater and gives a buttery smooth shoutout to the three O's he honors with his Portland Trail Blazers jersey No. 0 — Ogden, Oregon and Oakland.
Lillard may have recently made the finalist list for the 2014 USA Men's World Cup team roster, alongside the Utah Jazz's Gordon Hayward, but he's got his work cut out for him to make it behind the counter at the local multiplex. Watch out for that nacho cheese sauce.
Roy Burton has covered sports and news as a professional journalist in the state of Utah for over a decade. He now works as an editor and designer at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter at @RoyBurton.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16