NORTH SALT LAKE – The developer of a neighborhood where one home was destroyed, and several other buildings were damaged by a landslide released a statement Tuesday afternoon.
"The slide that occurred this morning is on property that was originally a gravel pit used for the expansion of I-15 just prior to the 2002 Winter Olympics. The reclamation of this property was performed by the gravel pit operators prior to 1997. The area of the slide is largely owned by the city of North Salt Lake. Eaglepointe Development is a residential developer that has developed extensively in the area since 1999.
First and foremost, given the magnitude of the slide, we are truly grateful that no one has been harmed. At this point, it is difficult to determine the cause of the slide. The heavy rains certainly played some role and whether or not recent seismic activity has been a contributing factor is unclear.
We are cooperatively working with the city, our professional engineers and contractors to prevent further damage, determine the cause, remedy the situation, and we have provided housing for several of the families who have been affected.
All earthwork in the development surrounding the slide has been performed based upon standard protocols, recommendations and approvals from several independent engineering companies as we as the geotechnical engineers representing North Salt Lake.
We are cooperatively working with the city, our professional engineers and contractors to prevent further damage and to find a solution to this situation. Additionally, we have provided alternative housing for several of the families whose homes are at the base of the slide."
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 37
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 27