At first blush, the cupcake toppers in Lynlee North Beckett's book "Sweet and Unique Cupcake Toppers" look impossibly detailed and impractical to replicate. Then, she breaks them into bite-size pieces.
Beckett includes a legend with each topper that tells the baker whether it's a difficulty level for a beginner, an experienced decorator or an advanced cupcake maker with time to burn.
She adds five options for each kind of decoration: simplify, accentuate, personalize, expand and decorate and display.
For example, a busy mom trying to add some glitz and fun to a birthday party for a 3-year-old won't feel as though she has to make a monkey for 32 cupcakes. Rather, she can do a few and put bananas and jungle vines on the rest.
Beckett has thought of everything based on her experience working with fondant decorations and really good cupcake recipes.
The pictures she's included spell out in detail what she's teaching the reader to make: pirates, bunny rabbits with only the tail sticking up in one cupcake, tennis shoes and a soccer ball, lovebugs, a reindeer caught in a string of lights, chicks, circus elephants and a snowball penguin.
Everything is precious and clever and awe-inspiring.
It opens up a whole new world of ideas for those who don't want to settle for a plain, frosted cupcake or pay a gourmet price for something more.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with more than 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Mom calls out Toys R Us for selling fake...
- Playing favorites can increase the chance a...
- The Clean Cut: Lindsey Stirling visits the...
- Work of two Utah students featured in...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge... 8
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 7
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- Bound together: marriage rates and the... 5
- It's 2014: Are all our schools... 5
- Can too many dating options be a... 5
- Watch: Wheatley conference on family 5