Utah State Fair winner featured in Woman's Day magazine
Utahn Cheryl Phipps’ Carbonara Muffin recipe is one of four winning recipes from state fairs across the country that are featured in the August edition of Woman’s Day magazine in a story called “Blue Ribbon Recipes.”
Phipps won first place in the 2013 Utah State Fair’s Governor’s Favorite Muffin Contest. Her muffins use bacon, Alfredo sauce, cornmeal and mushrooms to make a more savory muffin than ones with sweet fruit flavors.
“I love spaghetti carbonara, so I turned it into a muffin — it took three tries to get it right,” Phipps told Woman’s Day.
Texas, North Carolina and Iowa are also represented with a Made-in-Texas Peach Cobbler, Peanut Butter Cake and Pickled Cauliflower, respectively.
This year’s Utah State Fair is Sept. 4-14 and features more than a dozen different contests. The deadline for online entries is Aug. 29. For information on the cook-offs, see utahstatefair.com and click on “Exhibitors” and then “Indoor Cook-Offs” or “Outdoor Cook-Offs” from the left-hand menu.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- If Pinterest makes you feel like a failure as...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 23
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 17
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6