Utah State Fair winner featured in Woman's Day magazine
Utahn Cheryl Phipps’ Carbonara Muffin recipe is one of four winning recipes from state fairs across the country that are featured in the August edition of Woman’s Day magazine in a story called “Blue Ribbon Recipes.”
Phipps won first place in the 2013 Utah State Fair’s Governor’s Favorite Muffin Contest. Her muffins use bacon, Alfredo sauce, cornmeal and mushrooms to make a more savory muffin than ones with sweet fruit flavors.
“I love spaghetti carbonara, so I turned it into a muffin — it took three tries to get it right,” Phipps told Woman’s Day.
Texas, North Carolina and Iowa are also represented with a Made-in-Texas Peach Cobbler, Peanut Butter Cake and Pickled Cauliflower, respectively.
This year’s Utah State Fair is Sept. 4-14 and features more than a dozen different contests. The deadline for online entries is Aug. 29. For information on the cook-offs, see utahstatefair.com and click on “Exhibitors” and then “Indoor Cook-Offs” or “Outdoor Cook-Offs” from the left-hand menu.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Top parenting ideas,...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 22
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail... 4
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Heart-pounding 'Jason Bourne' makes the... 1