Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah Grizzlies head coach and General Manager Tim Branham announced Tuesday that the team has re-signed defenseman Channing Boe for the 2014-2015 season.
Boe served as an assistant captain for the Grizzlies in 2013-2014, dressing in 66 of 72 regular season games, logging a plus-11, adding 12 assists and leading the team in minutes played. With great defense and goaltending, this year’s Grizzlies team allowed the fewest goals in team history at 173 in 72 games and was third in the ECHL in goals-allowed-per-game at 2.44 and fourth in the ECHL in shots allowed at only 27 given up per game.
"Channing is a very important part of our team both on and off the ice,” Branham said. “His leadership is second to none and his ability to shut down the top lines of opposing teams is crucial. We are very happy to have him signed for this upcoming season."
The 27-year-old Minnesota native enters his fourth full year pro after spending the first two seasons of his pro career with the ECHL’s Las Vegas Wranglers. He has appeared in 198 regular season ECHL games and 36 playoff games.
“Last season ended too early and it felt like unfinished business,” Boe said. “I believe in coach Branham and this team, which is why I decided to come back and finish what we started. I enjoyed Utah and all of the fans and am looking forward to another year with the Grizzlies.”
Boe played four years of college hockey at Minnesota State-Mankato where he studied construction management.
The Grizzlies open the 2014-2015 regular season at Maverik Center against the Idaho Steelheads on Friday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages for the 2014-2015 season are on sale now and start at $29. Call (801) 988-8800 or visit the Grizzlies website for more information.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 58
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 21