Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A federal judge Tuesday set a trial date for St. George businessman Jeremy Johnson and four associates who allegedly bilked millions of dollars from customers in an Internet marketing scam.
A four-week jury trial is scheduled to start March 2, 2015, before U.S. District Judge David Nuffer.
Johnson, Scott Leavitt, Bryce Payne, Ryan Riddle and Loyd Johnston were named in an 86-count indictment alleging that they committed fraud in connection with Johnson's online business, iWorks.
Prosecutors allege iWorks used numerous websites to tout bogus government grants that were available to stop foreclosures and pay down debt and pay for personal expenses such as groceries, home repairs and utilities. The sites claimed the grants could be accessed through a CD offered for a $2.29 shipping fee.
The five men were charged in March 2013 and prosecutors asked for a trial in April, expressing concerns about the memories of witnesses as the alleged crimes date back five years. But the court said the large amount of evidence in the case called for more time.
Johnson is a central figure in the criminal charges filed last month against former Utah Attorneys General Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow. County prosecutors allege they accepted gifts from Johnson, including use of his private jet and luxury houseboat.
— Dennis Romboy
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Many questions remain in shooting death of...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 9