Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A federal judge Tuesday set a trial date for St. George businessman Jeremy Johnson and four associates who allegedly bilked millions of dollars from customers in an Internet marketing scam.
A four-week jury trial is scheduled to start March 2, 2015, before U.S. District Judge David Nuffer.
Johnson, Scott Leavitt, Bryce Payne, Ryan Riddle and Loyd Johnston were named in an 86-count indictment alleging that they committed fraud in connection with Johnson's online business, iWorks.
Prosecutors allege iWorks used numerous websites to tout bogus government grants that were available to stop foreclosures and pay down debt and pay for personal expenses such as groceries, home repairs and utilities. The sites claimed the grants could be accessed through a CD offered for a $2.29 shipping fee.
The five men were charged in March 2013 and prosecutors asked for a trial in April, expressing concerns about the memories of witnesses as the alleged crimes date back five years. But the court said the large amount of evidence in the case called for more time.
Johnson is a central figure in the criminal charges filed last month against former Utah Attorneys General Mark Shurtleff and John Swallow. County prosecutors allege they accepted gifts from Johnson, including use of his private jet and luxury houseboat.
— Dennis Romboy
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 28
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21