BYU swim: three Cougar swimmers to compete at national championships
Jake Taylor, Hayden Palmer and Chad Sorensen will head to Irvine, California, to compete at the 2014 Phillips 66 National Championships from August 6-10, at the William Woollett, Jr. Aquatics Complex.
The national championships serve as a selection event for four international events: the 2014 Pan Pacific Championships, the 2014 World Short Course Championships, the 2015 World Championships and the 2015 World University games. The national championships also play a huge role in determining who represents Team USA over the next couple of years.
“Ultimately, we want a reputation at nationals and competing here will help us earn that,” BYU swim coach John Brooks said. “Their goal is to try and make it in the top 16 so they can get back in the evening and compete in the finals.”
Taylor will compete in the 50, 100 and 200 backstroke as well as the time trials for the 100 freestyle and 200 IM. Palmer will swim the 200 and 400 IM and time trial in the 200 breast. Sorensen will compete in the 50 and 100 breast.
Heats begin every day at 9 a.m., with the finals beginning the same day at 6 p.m.
For event information, visit the USA Swimming website.
Zach Brady is a student at BYU and current BYU swimming & diving SID. TWITTER: @Zachbrady7 EMAIL: Zachbrady7@gmail.com.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- College football countdown No. 43: BYU...
- Athlete's tribute: 'Show me a legend and...
- BYU volleyball: 10 Cougars named to WCC...
- BYU tennis: three Cougars named to WCC...
- BYU soccer: Cougars net 14 mentions on WCC...
- BYU football: Jamaal Williams leads a deep...
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- BYU football: Jamaal Williams leads a... 20