BYU swim: three Cougar swimmers to compete at national championships
Jake Taylor, Hayden Palmer and Chad Sorensen will head to Irvine, California, to compete at the 2014 Phillips 66 National Championships from August 6-10, at the William Woollett, Jr. Aquatics Complex.
The national championships serve as a selection event for four international events: the 2014 Pan Pacific Championships, the 2014 World Short Course Championships, the 2015 World Championships and the 2015 World University games. The national championships also play a huge role in determining who represents Team USA over the next couple of years.
“Ultimately, we want a reputation at nationals and competing here will help us earn that,” BYU swim coach John Brooks said. “Their goal is to try and make it in the top 16 so they can get back in the evening and compete in the finals.”
Taylor will compete in the 50, 100 and 200 backstroke as well as the time trials for the 100 freestyle and 200 IM. Palmer will swim the 200 and 400 IM and time trial in the 200 breast. Sorensen will compete in the 50 and 100 breast.
Heats begin every day at 9 a.m., with the finals beginning the same day at 6 p.m.
For event information, visit the USA Swimming website.
Zach Brady is a student at BYU and current BYU swimming & diving SID. TWITTER: @Zachbrady7 EMAIL: Zachbrady7@gmail.com.
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Looking back at the top 10 NBA draft picks...
- BYU, Utah State football programs receive...
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on the...
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 34
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- BYU, Utah State football programs... 8
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with... 7