“That’s the struggle we’re facing now,” Wilcox said, “just trying to get our kids to buy into the program and realize they can compete with these other schools they haven’t been successful against for 10 years.”
Altamont Longhorns at a glance
Coach: Anthony Wilcox is entering his second season at the helm, having compiled a 3-8 record in 2013.
(8 returning starters; spread offense)
Senior Rylee Foy has made a name for himself as a running back, but will be switching to quarterback in 2014. In truth, Foy's ability to throw may just be icing on the cake for a unit that ought to have success running the ball. Joining Foy in the backfield will be Brady Farnsworth and Slaton Thompson. The latter was injured in the first game of 2013 and missed the rest of the season. A strong, experienced offensive line led by Westley Thompson, Dainen Parry and McCoy Pace will also help the run game.
(8 returning starters)
Altamont will be experienced on this side of the ball, and will be looking to surrender fewer than the 34.9 points per game it gave up in 2013. Parry will anchor the defensive line and Pace will lead the linebacking corps. The big question will be the secondary, as Wilcox will be relying primarily on freshmen and sophomores to hold down the fort in the defensive backfield.
Coaches preseason Region 1A North straw poll: Fourth
Deseret News Region 1A North prediction: Fourth
Bottom line: If Foy can keep defenses honest with his arm, the Longhorns should be able to run the ball effectively enough to put points on the board. However, they need to improve defensively from last season to produce more victories.
Altamont coaching history
2013-current — Anthony Wilcox (3-8)
2009-2012 — Mick Fieldstead (20-24)
2006-2008 — Daniel Zabriskie (3-26)
1998-2005 — Mark Barnum (35-44)
1996-1997 — Robert Marshall (7-12)
1995 — Darrin Jensen (3-8)
1991-1994 — Robert Marshall (25-15)
1986-1990 — Dave Peck (14-33)
1982-1985 — Frank Hill (5-31)
1980-1981 — Kim Petersen (1-14)
1977-1979 — Jack Barton (14-13)
1974-1976 — Bill Manzanares (15-12)
1972-1973 — Rod Jorgensen (Unknown)
1949 — Glenn Allred (0-6)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2013 — Rylee Foy, RB/LB
2013 — Randy Sorensen, WR/DB
2012 — Kyle Foy, RB/LB
2012 — Denver Knight, OL/DL
2012 — Cassidy Smith, OL/DL
2011 — Kyle Foy, FB/LB
2010 — Zaquri Brinkerhoff, OL/LB
2010 — Dalton Smith, OL/DL
2009 — Zach Hatch, RB/LB
2009 — Waylon Thompson, RB/LB
2007 — Kyle Pugh, OL/DL
2005 — Matt Kolford, RB/DL
2004 — Gavin Lindsay, QB
2004 — Nathan Wilcox, LB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Ryan McDonald is a writer and editor at the Deseret News. He previously worked as the sports editor at The Daily Utah Chronicle, the campus newspaper at the University of Utah.
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 100
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Little offense as main players sit out... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 40
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 23