Marital problems may have motivated arson fire in Eagle Mountain, police say
Utah County Jail
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — Police say marital problems may have motivated a Utah County man to set his home on fire.
Firefighters and sheriff's deputies responded to a fire that did an estimated $100,000 damage to an Eagle Mountain home about 11 p.m. Friday and were told by witnesses at the scene that the blaze had been intentionally set by a man who lives in the home, George Everton Maile.
The home was empty when firefighters arrived, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. The fire was reported by a neighbor who spotted the flames.
Maile, 34, was arrested the next day by South Jordan police and booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of aggravated arson.
Problems in Maile's marriage may have prompted him to start the fire, Cannon said.
"He was not happy with life, I guess," Cannon said.
Unified Fire Battalion Chief Brian Anderton called the blaze the equivalent of a two-alarm fire with multiple agencies responding to assist. The house, 4064 N. Shirley Lane (2650 East), is currently uninhabitable but is not a total loss, Anderton said.
Smoke, fire and water damage occurred throughout the home, Anderton said. Unified Fire K-9s indicated accelerants may have been used to ignite the blaze.
"Our K-9s are trained to detect different types of accelerants that may be used, and it sounds like our K-9s hit on several locations where it sounds like accelerants may have been used," Anderton said.
Maile told police he had suicidal thoughts, but because he left the scene of the fire, investigators don't believe he set it with intent to hurt himself, Cannon said.
Court records indicate a protective order was filed against Maile in February. He has prior convictions for misdemeanor assault in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Ann Romney on likability, Hillary Clinton, MS...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15