Marital problems may have motivated arson fire in Eagle Mountain, police say
Utah County Jail
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — Police say marital problems may have motivated a Utah County man to set his home on fire.
Firefighters and sheriff's deputies responded to a fire that did an estimated $100,000 damage to an Eagle Mountain home about 11 p.m. Friday and were told by witnesses at the scene that the blaze had been intentionally set by a man who lives in the home, George Everton Maile.
The home was empty when firefighters arrived, Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. The fire was reported by a neighbor who spotted the flames.
Maile, 34, was arrested the next day by South Jordan police and booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of aggravated arson.
Problems in Maile's marriage may have prompted him to start the fire, Cannon said.
"He was not happy with life, I guess," Cannon said.
Unified Fire Battalion Chief Brian Anderton called the blaze the equivalent of a two-alarm fire with multiple agencies responding to assist. The house, 4064 N. Shirley Lane (2650 East), is currently uninhabitable but is not a total loss, Anderton said.
Smoke, fire and water damage occurred throughout the home, Anderton said. Unified Fire K-9s indicated accelerants may have been used to ignite the blaze.
"Our K-9s are trained to detect different types of accelerants that may be used, and it sounds like our K-9s hit on several locations where it sounds like accelerants may have been used," Anderton said.
Maile told police he had suicidal thoughts, but because he left the scene of the fire, investigators don't believe he set it with intent to hurt himself, Cannon said.
Court records indicate a protective order was filed against Maile in February. He has prior convictions for misdemeanor assault in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 68
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 32
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19