Charges of sex with 2nd teen filed against former Davis High teacher
FARMINGTON — New allegations have delayed a trial for a former Davis High School teacher now charged with having sex with two teenage boys.
Amended charges filed in 2nd District Court last month allege Brianne Land Altice, 35, had sex with a 17-year-old boy between April 1 and June 30 last year. She was originally charged in October with having sex with a then 16-year-old student between January and June 2013.
Altice was initially charged with three counts of rape and one count of forcible sodomy, all first-degree felonies. A fourth charge of rape and a second charge of forcible sodomy, also first-degree felonies, have been added.
The charges indicate Altice, a now-former English teacher at Davis High, held a "position of special trust" with both minors.
The first teen testified in February of his persistent flirtations toward Altice, his teacher at the time, and how the relationship eventually escalated to a series of sexual encounters, including in Altice's home.
The boy said during his testimony he initially felt proud about his relationship with Altice, but that later turned into "guilt and shame."
Altice's attorney filed a motion in April to dismiss the charges, arguing that prosecutors failed to show that Altice held a position of special trust as the boy's teacher and that she used that position to "exercise undue influence."
The judge denied the motion to dismiss and set the case for a three-day trial in September. That trial has been canceled and a preliminary hearing scheduled for Friday, court documents indicate.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 27
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16