Ute coach Kyle Whittingham says 1st day of fall camp was 'exceptional'
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham liked what he saw on the first day of preseason camp Monday. Whittingham noted that he was “very encouraged” after the first of 25 practices prior to the Aug. 28 opener against Idaho State.
“This is an exceptional day one,” Whittingham said. “But it’s only day one. We can’t lose sight of that. We’ve got to start stringing them together and putting good practices and good work together consecutively. We’ll see if we’re mentally tough enough to do that.”
Camp continues Tuesday as the Utes progress through the NCAA’s acclimatization period. They’ll be able to wear full pads for the first time on Saturday. That’s also the first scheduled “double day” of camp.
ON THE MEND: Whittingham gave updates on linebackers Gionni Paul (foot) and Jacoby Hale (knee), who were injured in spring ball.
Paul, he explained, is progressing as expected, perhaps even a little ahead of schedule.
“If we can get him by at least, at the latest, the opening of Pac-12 play (Sept. 27, Washington State) that would be great,” Whittingham said. “Sooner than that is a bonus.”
Whittingham added that Hale is still quite a ways out.
“Midseason or something like that,” he said.
BLECHEN’S BACK: After missing all of last season with an injury, senior Brian Blechen is back at strong safety for the Utes. The former Freshman All-American has 203 career tackles (119 solo) and eight interceptions.
“We missed him last year,” Whittingham said. “We missed his physical presence on the field because he’s an intimidating player on defense and it’s great to get him back.”
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47