COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A man who crashed a bicycle into a power pole while carrying two firearms was arrested Monday after police learned of his criminal history.
Witnesses saw the man, later identified as Kevin Henrie, 58, riding on the sidewalk when he came in contact with a power pole near 1600 E. Fort Union Blvd. and crashed. Concerned for his condition, witnesses called police to check on him.
Police began treating Henrie for minor injuries when nearby they found a rifle and a shotgun, which appeared to have been wrapped in a towel and strapped to the bike's handlebars, according to Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Corbett Ford. When asked about the guns, Henrie denied knowledge of them, Ford said.
"As soon as he saw that the officers saw the firearms, all of a sudden amnesia kicked in," Ford said. "The firearms weren't his. The bike wasn't his. He didn't know how he got his injuries, and he wasn't riding the bike. We had some witnesses that actually saw him, so we know that he actually was transporting those on his bike. He's not been very forthcoming."
Officers learned that Henrie's criminal history prohibits him from possessing a firearm, and they booked him into the Salt Lake County Jail.
A search of court records indicates Henrie has pleaded guilty to several charges since 2003, including criminal trespass of a dwelling, use or possession of drug paraphernalia, simple assault, and retail theft. A first-degree felony charge of aggravated burglary was dismissed in 2009.
Police were investigating how Henrie acquired the guns and the bicycle.
"Regardless of whether (the firearms) were stolen or not, he's not allowed to possess them," Ford said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: MorganEJacobsen
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19