SALT LAKE CITY — Utah students can put their creative talents to work promoting awareness of the risks of indoor radon gas by participating in the 2014 National Radon Poster Contest, which is underway.
State contest winners will receive cash awards, with the first-place winner receiving $300 and his or her school or organization receiving $500. Second- and third-place winners each will receive $100.
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality and Division of Radiation Control’s Radon Program is coordinating this year’s contest in partnership with Kansas State University and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Children ages 9-14 enrolled in a public, private, territorial, tribal, Department of Defense or home school are eligible to participate.
Members of a sponsoring club, such as a Scouting organization or an art, computer, science or 4-H club, also are eligible. There is no entry fee, and only one entry per student is allowed. Entry deadline is Oct. 3. Notification of state and national winners will occur by Dec. 10
Poster contest submission forms, topics and rules are online at www.radon.utah.gov.
The public is invited to judge posters by voting online Oct. 9-14.
More information about contest eligibility, radon test kits, and radon contractors is available at www.radon.utah.gov or by calling Utah’s Hotline at 1-800-458-0145.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7