Utah Utes football: Travis Wilson expresses regret over concert situation
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah quarterback Travis Wilson, who was cited and released on suspicion of underage possession/consumption of alcohol at last month’s Tim McGraw concert at USANA Amphitheatre, expressed regret for the situation on Monday.
“It’s not who I am. It was not a smart decision on my part,” Wilson said. “It’s something I know will never come up again and I’ll make sure of that. It’s just something that shouldn’t have happened.”
Wilson added that he has worked through the matter with head coach Kyle Whittingham and got past it.
“We worked to fix it,” said Wilson, who turns 21 on Dec. 14.
After the opening of preseason camp Monday, Whittingham told reporters he was pleased with how Wilson has reacted since the July 25 incident.
“Absolutely,” Whittingham said. “We handled that internally and we expect that Travis is not going to have any more issues of that nature.”
When asked if he had any concerns about Wilson’s ability to lead the Utes, Whittingham said no.
“He’s a great leader. It was obviously something that was a mistake but his leadership is very good.”
An official statement from the Department of Public Safety said Wilson was cited during the concert at approximately 10 p.m., for possession/consumption of alcohol by a minor.
“This is a violation of state law,” it read. “Mr. Wilson was cited into the West Valley Justice Court and released at the scene.”
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- BYU football: Kai Nacua looking forward after...
- Lexi Eaton scores 30, including game-winner,...
- BYU looking to get off bubble, into NCAA...
- Utes struggle, survive scare but eventually...
- Breaking down the field: West Coast...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 78
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 52
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 45
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Utes struggle, survive scare but... 43
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 31