Couple married for 62 years die together, four hours apart
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Don and Maxine Simpson were inseparable during their 62 years of marriage, and not even death could detach them.
According to Buzzfeed, the two met at a bowling alley in Bakersfield and married a few years later.
Over the course of more than 60 years, the couple traveled the world, adopted two sons and took part in the YMCA, Rotary, and the Boys and Girls Club, according to ABC.
A few weeks ago, Don fell and broke his hip, and his health deteriorated quickly, Buzzfeed reported. Sequentially, Maxine's cancer took a turn for the worse.
"I told my sister on the phone, 'We've got one shot to get them together,'" Melissa Sloan, the Simpson's granddaughter, told ABC.
Sloan then moved her grandparents to a spare bedroom in her home, placing their hospital beds side by side.
"Grandma woke up and saw him, and they held hands and they knew they were next to each other," Sloan said.
Maxine died just four hours prior to Don.
"As soon as her body left the room, he left with her," Sloan said. "It's a true love story."
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 143
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6