Couple married for 62 years die together, four hours apart
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Don and Maxine Simpson were inseparable during their 62 years of marriage, and not even death could detach them.
According to Buzzfeed, the two met at a bowling alley in Bakersfield and married a few years later.
Over the course of more than 60 years, the couple traveled the world, adopted two sons and took part in the YMCA, Rotary, and the Boys and Girls Club, according to ABC.
A few weeks ago, Don fell and broke his hip, and his health deteriorated quickly, Buzzfeed reported. Sequentially, Maxine's cancer took a turn for the worse.
"I told my sister on the phone, 'We've got one shot to get them together,'" Melissa Sloan, the Simpson's granddaughter, told ABC.
Sloan then moved her grandparents to a spare bedroom in her home, placing their hospital beds side by side.
"Grandma woke up and saw him, and they held hands and they knew they were next to each other," Sloan said.
Maxine died just four hours prior to Don.
"As soon as her body left the room, he left with her," Sloan said. "It's a true love story."
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Pioneer Theatre Company announces 2015-16...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 18
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- Does an American child really go... 2
- 1 in 7 Americans has this kind of marriage 2
- Utah mother uses personal tragedy to... 1