Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
MIDVALE — A chain reaction of vehicle accidents was set off by a detached trailer, causing serious delays on I-15 near the I-215 interchange Sunday evening.
The accident occurred around 5:30 p.m. when a utility trailer being towed by a pick-up truck became unhooked, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Nathan Croft. The trailer bounced off a freeway wall, hit into the truck that had been pulling it and pushed the truck into an abandoned vehicle.
A second accident occurred when a semitrailer hit a car that was slowing down for the original crash before hitting another vehicle, Croft said. A recreational vehicle traveling alongside the semi hit a small SUV.
Another vehicle was hit with debris that went over the freeway wall.
"It's kind of a big confusing scene," Croft said.
No one was seriously injured in the accident.
According to the Utah Department of Transportation, the I-215 eastbound ramp to I-15 south was closed, and right lanes on I-15 northbound were closed at the I-215 South interchange. UDOT officials estimated a 15-minute delay for commuters.
The accident remained under investigation Sunday.
— Whitney Evans
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Utah is youngest state in country but growing...
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- America’s Most Followed Members of...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a...
- Fruit Heights to shut off water system...
- Kaysville to fete retiring city manager at...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Utah militia leader tried to blow up... 17