Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
MIDVALE — A chain reaction of vehicle accidents was set off by a detached trailer, causing serious delays on I-15 near the I-215 interchange Sunday evening.
The accident occurred around 5:30 p.m. when a utility trailer being towed by a pick-up truck became unhooked, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Nathan Croft. The trailer bounced off a freeway wall, hit into the truck that had been pulling it and pushed the truck into an abandoned vehicle.
A second accident occurred when a semitrailer hit a car that was slowing down for the original crash before hitting another vehicle, Croft said. A recreational vehicle traveling alongside the semi hit a small SUV.
Another vehicle was hit with debris that went over the freeway wall.
"It's kind of a big confusing scene," Croft said.
No one was seriously injured in the accident.
According to the Utah Department of Transportation, the I-215 eastbound ramp to I-15 south was closed, and right lanes on I-15 northbound were closed at the I-215 South interchange. UDOT officials estimated a 15-minute delay for commuters.
The accident remained under investigation Sunday.
— Whitney Evans
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 96
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9