Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
MIDVALE — A chain reaction of vehicle accidents was set off by a detached trailer, causing serious delays on I-15 near the I-215 interchange Sunday evening.
The accident occurred around 5:30 p.m. when a utility trailer being towed by a pick-up truck became unhooked, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Nathan Croft. The trailer bounced off a freeway wall, hit into the truck that had been pulling it and pushed the truck into an abandoned vehicle.
A second accident occurred when a semitrailer hit a car that was slowing down for the original crash before hitting another vehicle, Croft said. A recreational vehicle traveling alongside the semi hit a small SUV.
Another vehicle was hit with debris that went over the freeway wall.
"It's kind of a big confusing scene," Croft said.
No one was seriously injured in the accident.
According to the Utah Department of Transportation, the I-215 eastbound ramp to I-15 south was closed, and right lanes on I-15 northbound were closed at the I-215 South interchange. UDOT officials estimated a 15-minute delay for commuters.
The accident remained under investigation Sunday.
— Whitney Evans
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Mother of slain baby to serve 90 days in jail
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 64
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor... 17