Mark Wetzel, Deseret News
MIDVALE — A chain reaction of vehicle accidents was set off by a detached trailer, causing serious delays on I-15 near the I-215 interchange Sunday evening.
The accident occurred around 5:30 p.m. when a utility trailer being towed by a pick-up truck became unhooked, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Nathan Croft. The trailer bounced off a freeway wall, hit into the truck that had been pulling it and pushed the truck into an abandoned vehicle.
A second accident occurred when a semitrailer hit a car that was slowing down for the original crash before hitting another vehicle, Croft said. A recreational vehicle traveling alongside the semi hit a small SUV.
Another vehicle was hit with debris that went over the freeway wall.
"It's kind of a big confusing scene," Croft said.
No one was seriously injured in the accident.
According to the Utah Department of Transportation, the I-215 eastbound ramp to I-15 south was closed, and right lanes on I-15 northbound were closed at the I-215 South interchange. UDOT officials estimated a 15-minute delay for commuters.
The accident remained under investigation Sunday.
— Whitney Evans
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Herbert signs bills for Fairpark arena funds,...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 23
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14