Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz decided to keep Ian Clark around for another year.
With a Friday deadline looming, the Jazz opted to not waive the 6-3 combo guard, making his contract of just over $816,000 guaranteed for the 2014-15 season.
With Clark on board, the Jazz now have 13 players with guaranteed contracts heading into Utah coach Quin Snyder's first campaign. That leaves two spots open on the roster with two months left before training camp starts in October.
The Jazz signed Clark last summer after the Belmont sharpshooter lit up the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, including an MVP performance in the championship game for his Golden State squad.
Clark played sparingly in his rookie season, seeing limited time in only 23 games. He averaged 3.0 points on 39 percent shooting to go with 0.8 rebounds and 0.7 assists.
Clark averaged 8.4 points on 40 percent shooting with 2.0 assists and 1.4 turnovers for the 3-2 Jazz summer league squad last month in Las Vegas. He hit 7 of 14 3-pointers while mostly working on being a playmaker, perhaps as an indication that he could play a backup point guard role behind Trey Burke and Dante Exum.
“I think it went well for me and the team. I’ve been trying to work on playing the point guard a little bit more, handling the ball a lot,” Clark said. “Coaches, they trust me to initiate the offense and still be in attack mode. It’s something I’ve been trying to work on.”
The 23-year-old averaged 18.2 points and shot 45.9 percent from 3-point territory his senior season at the Tennessee college.
The Jazz will be able to extend a qualifying offer to Clark next offseason, making him a restricted free agent if they so choose.
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The resurrection of...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 98
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24