10 celebrities who lost the budget battle to their spouses
Danny Moloshok, Associated Press
It’s not always easy to agree with your spouse when it comes to money.
Gallup reported that only 32 percent of Americans actually prepare a budget and written document that outlines their spending habits. That’s in addition to another Gallup poll that found Americans are stressing out over their financial situations.
In 2011, there were 2,118,000 marriages in the United States, with 877,000 marriages ending in divorce or annulment, according the Centers for Disease Control. Several of those divorces were sparked by financial arguments, according to a recent study.
Coughing up money is never easy, and misery loves company. Here are 10 celebrities that had to sacrifice millions in their divorce settlements:
Heather Mills and Paul McCartney
The Beatles’ lead singer had quite the tough divorce back in 2008 when he and Heather Mills put their issues to rest. A family court in England awarded Mills a solid $48.6 million — nearly 15 times the cost of the couple’s wedding at $3.2 million, according to People magazine.
Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren
Many will remember the nefarious controversy that sprung up with Tiger Woods back in 2010. Woods — who had cheated on his wife with a number of women — had to cough up $100 million in the divorce, TMZ reported back in 2010. Given Woods was worth about $500 million at the time, that’s quite a battle lost by the prolific golfer.
Britney Spears and Kevin Federline
Remember when these two were a couple? Well, it’s definitely not something Britney Spears is going to forget, since she had to pay Federline $1 million to get a joint-custody agreement, MTV reported. At the time, Spears was under fire and had been admitted to rehab, which allowed Federline to have full custody, MTV reported. But Spears bought him out and got the new agreement.
Michael Jordan and Juanita Jordan
Michael Jordan doesn’t just top the charts in basketball. In terms of divorce, his separation from Juanita Jordan was ranked as the most expensive celebrity divorce back in 2007. Fox News reported that Juanita received $150 million in the divorce.
Harrison Ford and Melissa Mathison
Harrison Ford didn’t fare well in his divorce, having to give $85 million to his ex-wife Melissa Mathison, Contact Music reported. The divorce also allowed Mathison to get earnings from movies that Ford made during their marriage, according to Contact Music.
See the rest of the list in the slideshow above.
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- There's more to why Americans don't save than...
- The battle over coal struggles to find a...
- A younger generation of farmers gets in the dirt
- Utah Food Bank security breach exposes 10,000...
- How Medicare is trying to start a healthier...
- Startup hopes to help children with autism in...
- Handlers learn the finer points of sheepdog...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 27
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic... 12
- There's more to why Americans don't... 8
- Elected officials, business leaders... 7
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The battle over coal struggles to find... 4
- Applications for US jobless aid drop to... 1
- Why China's market slump is good news... 1