SALT LAKE CITY — Wildlife biologists are recommending changes that could result in more chances for hunters to take bobcats in Utah this fall.
During the 2013-14 season, the Utah Wildlife Board capped the number of bobcat permits at 4,600. Leslie McFarlane, mammals coordinator for the DWR, says the agency is recommending an unlimited number of permits for the 2014-15 season.
However, the number of permits an individual trapper or hunter could obtain would still be limited. For the 2014-15 season, the DWR is recommending that each trapper or hunter be allowed to obtain up to six bobcat permits. During the 2013-14 season, each trapper or hunter could not obtain more than three bobcat permits.
The bobcat management plan, including the performance targets the plan outlines, is available at wildlife.utah.gov. The DWR is recommending that the upcoming bobcat season run from Nov. 19 to Feb. 8.
Interested people can review the proposed changes at the DWR website and contact Regional Advisory Council members to offer input by attending an upcoming meeting or by sending an email.
Council chairmen will share the input they receive with members of the Utah Wildlife Board. The board will meet in Salt Lake City on Aug. 28 to approve rules for Utah's 2014-15 cougar and furbearer seasons.
The central region council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Springville Public Library, 45 S. Main. The northern region will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 6, at the Brigham City Community Center, 24 N. 300 West.
Email addresses for regional council members are available at the DWR website.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14