SALT LAKE CITY — Wildlife biologists are recommending changes that could result in more chances for hunters to take bobcats in Utah this fall.
During the 2013-14 season, the Utah Wildlife Board capped the number of bobcat permits at 4,600. Leslie McFarlane, mammals coordinator for the DWR, says the agency is recommending an unlimited number of permits for the 2014-15 season.
However, the number of permits an individual trapper or hunter could obtain would still be limited. For the 2014-15 season, the DWR is recommending that each trapper or hunter be allowed to obtain up to six bobcat permits. During the 2013-14 season, each trapper or hunter could not obtain more than three bobcat permits.
The bobcat management plan, including the performance targets the plan outlines, is available at wildlife.utah.gov. The DWR is recommending that the upcoming bobcat season run from Nov. 19 to Feb. 8.
Interested people can review the proposed changes at the DWR website and contact Regional Advisory Council members to offer input by attending an upcoming meeting or by sending an email.
Council chairmen will share the input they receive with members of the Utah Wildlife Board. The board will meet in Salt Lake City on Aug. 28 to approve rules for Utah's 2014-15 cougar and furbearer seasons.
The central region council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Springville Public Library, 45 S. Main. The northern region will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 6, at the Brigham City Community Center, 24 N. 300 West.
Email addresses for regional council members are available at the DWR website.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7