“Every failure is a chance to improve. Even the greatest entrepreneurs are willing to admit that their early efforts invariably brought many failures. Mentally strong people are willing to fail again and again, if necessary, as long as the learning experience from every 'failure' can bring them closer to their ultimate goals.”
• Don’t dwell on the past.
"There is strength in acknowledging the past and especially in acknowledging the things learned from past experiences — but a mentally strong person is able to avoid miring their mental energy in past disappointments or in fantasies of the 'glory days' gone by. They invest the majority of their energy in creating an optimal present and future.”
After reading the entire list, I realized I was guilty of several of these don’ts. I also realized that sometimes, it’s OK to not be OK. Sometimes life is hard. Things aren’t fair, and struggling is inevitable. For me, talking to trusted friends and family members helps tremendously. One of those family members — my father — is a psychiatrist. I have been blessed by his advice, counsel and support. Sometimes seeing a therapist or doctor may be beneficial for moving on and helping strengthen those mental muscles. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others and find ways to make your own heart, mind and soul strong and sound.
The complete list on becoming mentally strong was originally posted on LifeHack and is on forbes.com.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- One thing that changed my view of marriage...
- A simple way to know that you're with the...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- The one joke we make about love may actually...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- One thing that changed my view of... 33
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 4
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The one joke we make about love may... 3
- 1 out of 7 Americans has this kind of... 2