Utah Grizzlies head coach and General Manager Tim Branham announced Thursday that the team has re-signed veteran forward Mathieu Aubin for the 2014-2015 season.
After being acquired from Cincinnati on Nov. 7 last year, along with Michael Pelech, Aubin finished third on the Grizzlies in scoring with 16 goals and 28 assists for 44 points in 54 games. He led the Grizzlies in power-play points with 21 on five goals and 16 assists, and he was second on the team with 13 multiple-point games.
"It was crucial for me to bring Mathieu back to the Grizzlies,” Branham said. “We dearly missed his presence in the playoffs last season, and I look forward to seeing his leadership and skill back in uniform in the fall."
Aubin suffered a season-ending neck injury in a game against Las Vegas on April 9, 2014, and then missed the final two games of the regular season and the playoffs.
“We’re fortunate to have some unbelievable physicians who both initially attended to Mathieu and repaired the damage from this unfortunate injury that happened in the blink of an eye,” Grizzlies head athletic trainer Mike Plandowski said. “He’s working extremely hard to prepare for the upcoming season.”
Aubin, 27, served as captain of the ECHL’s Cincinnati Cyclones from December 2011 to May 2013 and won two Kelly Cup Championships in Cincinnati in 2008 and 2010. In addition, he won a Calder Cup Championship with Hamilton of the AHL in 2009. In 346 career ECHL games with Utah, Cincinnati and Bakersfield, Aubin has totaled 141 goals and 211 assists for 352 points in 401 games. He was named the ECHL’s Plus Performer of the Year in 2011-2012 with a plus-25 rating. In 82 professional career playoff games, Aubin has 24 goals and 25 assists for 49 points in 82 games.
The Grizzlies open the 2014-2015 regular season at Maverik Center against the Idaho Steelheads on Friday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m.
Ticket packages for the 2014-2015 season are on sale now and start at $29. Call (801) 988-8800 or visit the Utah Grizzlies website for more information.
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 64
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22