Crandall said it is his belief that the Common Core State Standards were adopted in accordance with established practices that include the participation of local educators and parents.
"The process that we follow when we adopt any standards in any subject area involves all of the groups that are mentioned in the lawsuit," he said.
Former board Chairwoman Debra Roberts said that there was a yearlong review of the Common Core before the standards were adopted, during which time the Utah State Office of Education conducted meetings throughout the state asking for feedback from community members.
Roberts said the board voted for a preliminary adoption of the Common Core in June 2010 before finalizing that action in August in an effort to provide further opportunity for public comment.
"We were as careful as we could possibly be to make sure we included as many people as possible," she said. "We were fighting for ways to get it out there. We were so anxious that people be aware of what we were doing."
Roberts said people often don't pay attention until they're angry about a decision that has already been made. She gave the example of the state's world languages education standards, which were recently updated with relatively little public feedback despite efforts by officials to publicize the decision and solicit community comment.
Lawsuits like the one funded by the Libertas Institute are "political nonsense," Roberts said, and they show how fanaticism is overtaking the state at the expense of students.
"I feel like we’re wasting all this time, all these resources, all of this energy when we really need to be putting that energy into the classroom to give teachers the support they need," she said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 17
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10